Sunday 18 May 2014

Medhu Vadai Recipe




Medhuvada with ghee pongal is in my first list when i order any food at hotels. We used to prepare this medhu vada at home for every special occasion. I learnt this recipe from my mother-in-law. For my first pongal at my in-laws home, my co-sister and my MIL prepared this and I had a chance to prepare few by that time. Whenever I prepare batter for Idli, I will reserve few urad dhal batter and tried this out. This is how i tried to prepare medhu vada. When I plan to prepare with less oil, I will pour the batter in paniyaram kuli and make this one. I will post the same little later.

Ingredients


  • Urad dhal - 1 cup
  • Fennel seeds - 1 tsp
  • Onion - 10 (shallots)
  • Ginger - 1 inch sized
  • Green chilli - 2
  • Salt - 1/4 tsp
  • Curry leaves - few
  • Coriander leaves - few

Cooking steps


  • Soak urad dhal for 1 hour atleast.
  • cut onion, ginger and green chilli into small size.
  • Grind to a coarse paste.
  • Add fennel seeds, onion, green chilli, ginger, salt, curry leaves and coriander leavaes.
  • To maintain the consistency adjust 2 tbsp of rice powder and mix well and keep the batter fluffy.

  • In a frying pan, add enough oil and let the oil to be hot.
  • Take a laddle, turn it back and grease with little oil.
  • Take a lemon sized batter and put it on greased laddle and press it gently to form a circle shaped.
  • Place a hole in the middle and Now the batter is ready to be a medhu vada.
 

  • Bring the batter to your right hand and slowly place it in oil.
  • Fry till it becomes golden brown.
  • Flip to the other side and fry till golden brown.




  • Drain excess oil and serve with chutney

My 2 cents

  • You can add red chilli to substitute green chilli.
  • Adding rice flour is purely optional. I just added to maintain the batter consistency.
  • You can directly make the shapes using your hand itself. I used both the hands for frying and so i used a laddle.

No comments:

Post a Comment